If you don’t understand what other people say, it’s a good idea to ask for clarification instead of saying:
“I don’t understand” or “Sorry, my English is very bad”
Here there is a list of useful expressions for asking for clarification. These expressions will help you speak fluently and communicate better with your classmates or colleagues. It’s important that you learn how to pronounce each of the phrases correctly. There is an audio below each phrase so you can check the pronunciation that will help you learn them easily.
- Pardon me?
2. Excuse me. Could you repeat that, please?
3. Could you say that again?
4. I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you properly.
5. I’m sorry, I missed that.
6. I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that.
7. What do you mean?
8. What does _________ mean?
9. Could you give an example?
10. Did you say ________? (say the word you heard)
Useful English Phrases to Ask for Help (coming soon)