So your dream is to improve your English. But how many times have you failed?
You have spent a lot of time dreaming, thinking or talking about what you want. But you haven’t taken the necessary steps to achieve it.
It’s not because you are lazy or incapable. It’s because perhaps you are confused or you don’t know where to start. You don’t have a PLAN yet.
English learning plans, can serve as a roadmap or guide to making your dreams a reality.
An English learning plan can help you if:
- You are confused
- You feel that your learning progress is out of control
- You feel your learning progress is stagnant
- You struggle making the right decisions
- You feel lost and lack direction
- You have tried many things and nothing has helped
- You are tired and want to give up
What is an English learning planing?
An English learning plan is both a roadmap and a reminder of your goals. It helps you realize your dreams and the things that you need to do to make them true.
An English learning plan can help you to become aware of your strengths and your weaknesses.
Your English learning plan doesn’t need to be super detailed. It should be flexible so you can adapt it according to the circumstances.
Don’t forget that LIFE IS UNPREDICTABLE. Things happen. Your plan needs to leave room for unexpected changes and crises.
Making English learning plans can help you achieve your goals easier than if you are confused and have no idea what to do.
5 benefits of having an English learning plan
1 An English learning plan helps you make your dreams a reality
An English learning plan gives you the confidence to take action and be proactive.
2 An English learning plan helps you prioritize
Making an English learning plan helps you identify what you want and focus on things that move you in the right direction
3 An English learning plan helps you make better decisions
When you know your goals it is easier to make the right decisions that help you accomplish your goals
4 An English learning plan keeps you motivated
When you write down your goals it’s easier to stay focused and motivated.
5 An English learning plan makes you recognize your strengths and weaknesses
An English learning plan is a tool that makes you think critically and reflect on your learning needs. It helps you identify the skills that you master and the skills you need to improve to achieve your goals.
How to make an English learning plan: step by step
1. The most important thing to making any plan is, to BE HONEST with yourself.
2. Take a moment to reflect on your habits, your learning story, your circumstances, your strengths, and your weaknesses.
3. No one but you can identify the things that are easy for you and the things that are challenging for you.
4. You are the only one that can identify the things/ habits/ beliefs that are preventing you from moving forward.
5. Finally, remember that becoming fluent in English is a goal that will require that you spend a lot of time and resources. If you are not willing to pay the price then it will always be a DREAM.
6. If you are not willing to organize your life, give up unhealthy habits or if you can’t change your lifestyle to accommodate time to practice, then it’s going to be very difficult to improve your English.
Now it’s time to make your own learning plan
Below you can see a template that will help you reflect and create your own English learning plan.