Let’s talk about verb be and verb go
You already know that:
|Base form||simple past||past participle|
Now, let’s say that you want to talk about your trips. If you want to talk about your trips and the places that you have visited in the past you can’t use verb go in the present perfect form.
|simple present||1. I usually go to Paris in the summer. ✔️|
|simple past||2. I went to Paris last year. ✔️|
|present perfect||3. I have gone to Paris many times. ❌|
I have been to Paris many times ✔️
|been to||completed visits (round trip)|
|gone to||one-way trip|
In the video below I explain how to use been to and gone to correctly
Now it’s your turn.
Complete the following sentences with been or gone:
- My mom has ________ to the supermarket. She’ll be back in an hour.
- I’ve ________ to that place before. I know how to get there.
- You’re late. Where have you ________?
- Where has the teacher _________? She was here 5 minutes ago.
- She’s ________ to New York for a job interview.
- Has he ________ home? The party hasn’t finished yet.
- Have you ever _______ to Australia?
- The children have ________ to school.
- The fridge is full of fresh food. I’ve _______ to the supermarket?
- My dad has ________ to the dentist.